PHARM Podcast 28 – My first emergency surgical airway with Dr Jordan Schooler
Hi folks! This episode , as part of Surgical airway month of July 2012, I interview Dr Jordan Schooler an EM Resident in USA. He has just recently completed internship and was doing his first ICU resident shift when a patient with angioedema gets admitted from the ER to his ICU. Its a night shift and all goes well till 0400hrs. Tune in and hear of what happens next.. Read of Scancrit.com’s first emergency surgical airway experience and practice lessons from that too!
Minhs’ tips for acute angioedema
- These can be tricky as they may appear fine initially. It all depends upon the cause
- Adrenaline responsive vs adrenaline unresponsive. Scott and I are planning a podcast on this issue of angioedema so stay tuned
- Regardless, all these cases may end up needing urgent surgical airway. Prepare and plan. Use CricCon strategy
- Agree upon an airway leader and a decision point to be triggered for proceeding to do surgical airway.
- Use a double setup strategy with one provider trying orotracheal intubation or SGA placement and one provider going through the neck. Stay safe and enjoy the interview Minh
Now on to the Podcast
Right Click and Choose Save-as to Download the Podcast.