Exciting new trauma course created by two great blokes Amit Maini and Andy Buck, both emergency physicians based in Melbourne.
You had enough of EMST/ATLS, right? Does it seem all the same every time? Seen the same trauma lectures every time?
Well the EMERGENCY TRAUMA COURSE will be fresh, innovative and educationally novel. Its designed by emergency physicians for emergency physicians.
Course Description (quoted from their website)
ETM: The first ED focused Trauma Course.
Due for launch mid-2013, the ETM Course will bring a fresh approach to the teaching of trauma management in the Emergency Department. Features of the course:
- Specifically designed to meet the needs of Emergency Medicine practitioners
- Course content will be delivered via our SharpEM E-Learning Portal, which means the course days will be packed with interactive sessions.
- Course sessions will include:
- Skills Workshops
- Small group interactive sessions
Incorporating feedback from our Trauma Education Needs Survey conducted mid-2012, modern instructional design techniques and online learning methods we have developed new and innovative teaching and learning modalities, including:
- Course manual available online (in our E-Learning Portal) and in i-book format, which will allow us to incorporate:
- Links to online resources
- Web 2.0 Interactivity
- A strong emphasis on practical skill acquisition, so candidates are taught “how we really manage trauma in the ED”
- A focus on simulation and hands-on workshops, with minimal lecture content
- Inclusion of modern ED-centric information, including:
- Preparing your resus room and ED for a major trauma patient
- CRM and RRM (Resuscitation Room Management) skills
- Special Trauma Patient Groups: Paediatric, Obstetric, Geriatric, Obese
- Special Body Areas: Facial, dental, eye, and neck trauma, large joint dislocations, long bone fractures & occult minor injuries
- ED Trauma Procedures
- Medico-legal aspects of trauma
- Ultrasound: FAST & e-FAST
This course will set a new standard for medical short courses, and will be the definitive trauma course for Emergency Registrars and FACEMs.
They also started a blog and podcast which has some useful stuff. They interview me on trauma airway for Ep 1.
ETMCourse podcast will be available on iTunes soon as well as right here now. Its genuine FOAMEd, free and good.